After deciding to take a break from freelance work for the next couple of months, Ive had some time to sort a few things out here on this blog (and in doing so, learnt a thing or to).
Very soon I’ll be moving this site to my shiny new VPS server at Rimuhost, now armed with root access – all manner of crazy things can happen. Ive spent some free time over the last couple of weeks doing the following;
- Tidied up all the CSS here
- Moved all my Rails development from Windows to OSX
- Setup a new VPS Debian server with Rimuhosting
- Upgraded to Typo 4.0 and migrated this site’s theme into it
- Switched my photos back to a Flickr Pro account from 23HQ
- Moved this site to using SVN / Capistrano for deployment
- Changed from using Apache FCGI, to a full Lighttpd, Pound and Mongrel stack.
- Survived the London heat
So be prepared for all sorts of nerd like ‘how-to’ posts – as I attempt to share the knowledge and gotchas I experienced during all this (including the London heat) None of the changes to this site have been rolled out yet, its still sitting on Dreamhost running under Apache/FCGI.
Why bother? – The whole process has been a bit of learning exercise for myself and it means I can now quickly develop, deploy and host rails applications, faster and more reliably – which is good -you see.